Well, after eight weeks of stream prepping and writing (I’m still going to be writing into next week!), it’s time to do this – Game of the Generation is here.
Game of the Year has now been done and out of the way, but I’ve put all my energy this year into Game of the Generation. It’s a once-in-a-decade thing as we look back at the past console generation following on from the launches of PlayStation 4 and Xbox One a month ago. Needless to say, it’s something that doesn’t happen often.
So to celebrate, you’ll be seeing writeups on this blog and Cullen Plays LIVE streams throughout the entire week with a little help from a one or twenty friends and fellow peers of mine. Here’s what you can expect and when.
- Monday, 5pm GMT – The shortlist: Announcing the lineup of ten of the best games this past generation generation.
- Tuesday, 6pm GMT – Cullen Plays LIVE – Disappointments of the Generation: The first of four streams, focusing on the three games that disappointed most last-gen.
- Wednesday, 6pm GMT – Cullen Plays LIVE – Xbox 360 Special Mentions: A look back at five Xbox 360 games that, although didn’t make the top ten, are just as worthy of entry to it, including Project Gotham Racing 4 and Tomb Raider.
- Thursday, 5pm GMT – Moments of the Generation: This isn’t something I alone can write. The generation has had many defining moments across multiple genres and consoles that isn’t just for one person to write. So I roped in half a dozen friends and peers to contribute to this, hopefully, brilliant look back at some of the defining moments from the generation as well as deeply personal moments.
- Friday, 5pm GMT – (A special guest post): What is it? You’ll just have to wait and see.
- Next Saturday, 6pm GMT – Cullen Plays LIVE – PlayStation 3 Special Mentions: A look back at five PlayStation 3 games that, although didn’t make the top ten, are just as worthy of entry to it, including LittleBigPlanet and Assassin’s Creed II.
And then, the big one.
- Next Sunday from 11:45am GMT – Game of the Generation (Writeups and Cullen Plays LIVE): It’s time to rank them. At 11:45am, a holding page will go live that will contain the top ten games of the generation. Then, from just before midday, the Cullen Plays LIVE stream will kick off and at midday itself, the first game on the stream – tenth on the list – will be played live the same time a writeup goes live on here. That’ll continue one-by-one on the hour – both in the stream and here – until the final writeup at 9pm and the stream wraps up at 10pm.
This seems a bit dramatic and massive for a lonely little pawn like me, but fuck it, I like being a bit dramatic, especially considering a lot has happened to me within this industry – great and bad – this past generation and how many incredible games I’ve come out as a result.
It’s going to be a fun week and I’m looking forward to seeing the discussion it’ll (hopefully) provoke. Keep it locked here and to Twitch all throughout next week.